ART & Design
The National Curriculum for Art and Design provides a broad and balanced starting point from which students can begin to explore the creative world around them. The essential skills, which students need to develop during this period are their ability to:
KEY STAGE 3
Year 7: Students will focus on the Formal Elements of Art and Design: Line, Tone, Shape, Form, Texture, Pattern and Colour. Projects will be focused towards ensuring students have a strong knowledge of the basic skills required to achieve. Current schemes of work include:
· Term 1: Sea-life textures
· Term 2: African Textiles
· Term 3: Fantasy Cities
To include drawing, printmaking, clay modelling and ICT.
Year 8 Students will begin to explore various Art and Design skills, looking at developing an awareness of the various areas of the subject and the different skills and materials this includes. Current schemes of work include:
In Year 9 students will be encouraged to work on more personal ideas and approach projects through enquiry, research and investigation, preparing students for the more independent methods of working at Key Stage 4. Current schemes of work include:
KEY STAGE 4 –YEARS 10 AND 11
To follow AQA Art & Design Endorsed GCSE Examination
GCSE Art and Design
A GCSE in Art and Design provides students with a wide range of creative, exciting and stimulating opportunities to explore their interests in Art and Design. It allows for a very broad experience of the Arts with students encouraged to work in and explore several different areas of Art and Design focusing on personal interests and themes as well as guided projects.
What is the course content?
Students will be encouraged to explore the more traditional painting and drawing materials of: pencil, pen, paint, inks and pastels then develop their work into printmaking, collage, textiles, graphics, sculpture and painting on canvas. Opportunities will also be available for students to work digitally, producing computer-generated artwork and digital photography.
Areas of study can include:
Students will also be encouraged to critically examine the works of other artists, designers and craftspeople. The research and study of artists and artwork will include the production of written elements to support practical work. A great deal of emphasis will be placed on students’ personal and creative responses to the areas above and they will use a sketchbook in which to record their ideas and plans along the way as well as being expected to create work on a larger scale where appropriate.
Homework will be set regularly to support and strengthen class work.
Assessment: Students follow the AQA GCSE in Art and Design course and the specification requires that they produce a portfolio of selected work completed during the course, which will provide 60% of the total marks at GCSE. The remaining 40% will come from a final examination, including preparatory work and supervised time.
Students will hold a final exhibition of their artwork at the end of the course.
KS5: A-Level Fine Art
KS5: A-Level Graphic Communication
Graphics A-Level (AQA 7201)Graphic Communication is an endorsed course from the AQA Art and Design specification 7201. Throughout the course students will have the opportunity to produce practical and critical / contextual work and to study a range of methods and techniques.
Why study Graphic Communication?The Art and Design A-Level in Graphic Communication is aimed at students who are looking to develop their visual creativity.
This course will encourage you to explore and enhance your design skills using a wide range of graphics, media, techniques, processes and workshops that explore graphic visual language.
There are 4 Units of study for the full A-Level (2 at AS level) and 2 at A2 level
Preferred Entry Requirements
It is advisable that students have a background in either GCSE Art and Design or Graphic Products.
The course will help you develop a graphic based portfolio, which will aid progression onto university level art and design-based courses.
Art Dept Blog
KS3: Year 7-9 (PDF)
KS4: GCSE (PDF)
KS5: A-Level (PDF)
KDHS Art Galleries
Y7 Under the Sea
Y9 Tim Burton
KS5: A-Level Fine Art
KS5: A-Level Graphics
Art Club: Chibbies
Art Dept Blog
KDHS Art on Social Media