BIBLICAL HEBREW GCSE
Summer 2018 is the last year of the OCR Biblical Hebrew GCSE
From Summer 2019 the GCSE will be provided by Pearsons with a new specification which you can access here.
The principal aim of the Biblical Hebrew department is to:-
• Encourage pupils to study the Tanach
• Develop a lasting passion for the Tanach
• Create and deepen,within pupils, links to their historical heritage
• Encourage students to progress to higher education courses in Hebrew / Theology / Biblical Studies,whether linguistic or non-linguistic.
The study of Biblical Hebrew
• Acquaints students with large areas of Tanach that they might not otherwise study
• Enables students to acquire knowledge of ancient Israel and to make a personal connection historically, politically and religiously with modern Israel.
• Gives students a good Hebrew vocabulary and grammatical knowledge which will help them in future textual studies at school and in Higher Jewish Education
The Biblical Hebrew GCSE is delivered in year 9 and year 10 Yavneh Boys and Yavneh Girls.
It is a two year GCSE. This qualification focuses on the language and literature, with elements of the culture and history, providing linguistic knowledge.
Exam Board Link and Documents